Friday, October 16, 2009

The Easy Way To Migrate From Yahoo Mail To Gmail

Having had my Gmail account for quite a while now, not to mention having given quite a few invitations out as well I have seen the question "How do I move my mail from Yahoo to Gmail?" asked quite a few times. In fact a quick Google search brings up plenty of examples in various groups and forums. Well I've done it, and more to the point perhaps, my old Yahoo mail is still arriving in my new Gmail account, the joys of GetMail!

In order to do this you will need 2 seperate programs:-
GetMail
YPOPS

Believe it or not it's then quite easy to follow,

for YPPOPS:-
1. Open up YPOPS configuration
2. Email Preferences > Receiving Email > Check download from Inbox and Bulk Mail
folders
3. Email Preferences > Receiving Email > Set a maximum number of e-mails to
download at a time (I use 25)
4. Email Preferences > Receiving Email > Select download all emails
5. Advanced Preferences > Security > Select "Secure transmission using MD5"
6. Advanced Preferences > Network > Use IP address 127.0.0.1 and Port 110
7. Miscellaneous > Play with these as you like, personally I hide everything and
start with Windows

And then for GetMail:-
1. Mail Settings > Enter your Hotmail Account Details, if you don't have a
Hotmail account enter any old rubbish - but you must enter something
2. Mail Settings > Check "Run At Startup", uncheck "Filter Spam" and "Ask To
Poll", set a polling interval (I use 5 mins)
3. Mail Settings > Extra Account Setup > Enter your Yahoo e-mail address,
password and "Account Type" of "Other POP", Check "Full Address" - Click
"Save" and close window
4. Mail Settings > Extra Account Setup > Select your Yahoo account, enter
"Forward To:" as your Gmail account, enter 127.0.0.1 and 110 as your POP
server and port
5. Mail Settings > Extra Account Setup > Enter valid SMTP details, you should be
able to get these from your ISP
6. Mail Settings > Extra Account Setup > Check the "Delete" option to remove the
original emails from Yahoo (Optional)
7. Mail Settings > Extra Account Setup > Click "Save" and close all GetMail
configuration windows

So thats it really, leave GetMail and YPOPS running and 25 e-mails will be forwarded every 5 minutes from Yahoo Mail to GMail (This could take a little time depending on how much mail you have in your account). Once all your old mail has been moved you may wish to change the option in point 4 to "download only unread mail". The best bit is from now on any mail received in your old account will be forwarded on to your GMail account meaning that you should never have to manually check your old account again. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for the sake of that singular make. The prices for the shoes were all over 330 bucks on every site. But definitively I bring about this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching allowing for regarding that singular make. The prices seeking the sneakers were approximately 180 dollars everwhere. But definitively I set this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I really love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order them. what can you say about it?