Monday, April 6, 2009

A Methodist girl's Story about "LENT"





Yes, I am a Methodist girl. But, honestly, Lent is one of the coolest seasons there is in the church calendar. It is all about self-examination and what we are about, who we believe Jesus is, and how we long to be more like Him.

So, I have decided for Lent, essentially to be a more disciplined person. I have gotten a bit specific, just so I can be held accountable, but over all, it's about discipline.

My middle school girls and I discussed the difference this weekend between discipline and punishment. They are so insightful, honestly in the way they think and respond to things. They said that discipline is knowing right from wrong and doing the right thing. They said punishment was when you do wrong, though you knew the right thing, and you need to learn from your mistake. I love them. They are why I do what I do.

So, my Lent plan is: go to bed early...check the time, it's 11:09pm. I am about to turn the light out, as soon as I press Publish Post!
get up early: this means between 7:30am and 8am. I know this is not early for some people, but really, I have no reason to get up early, so most of the time I just sleep til 9 or 9:30, sometimes 10, let's be honest.
not drink cokes: because, let's face it, I am addicted. Every afternoon a good and cold diet coke is what keeps me going. Here's to water!!! Yay!
read the books on my nightstand: really, they have been sitting there since Christmas and I haven't even cracked them...yikes. it's time to open these pages...i mean, the first one is by Bill Johnson! I am excited to read it!
and be more productive: honestly, I could do a lot more by just getting up earlier...so, I am pretty sure I am going to be more productive because I am giving myself more time in my day!

So, there it is. My plan. I am going to do this. I am determined to be a more disciplined person. I think it is what God is teaching me in this season of my life. It's going to be a good 40 days. I hope it becomes a lifestyle. Pray with me.

read more HERE!!

No comments: