Monday, April 6, 2009





Lindsey Turrentine wrote an interesting article on CNet about the social pitfalls to avoid by those of you that want to give up Facebook or other social networking addictions for Lent.

Lindsey writes: “I’m not Catholic, but every year when friends and family give up wine, cheese, or bad TV shows for the 40 days of Lent, I get into an ascetic spirit.”

“I think maybe I do need a break from Facebook. Checking Facebook first thing in the morning, all day long, and just one more time after I brush my teeth is probably not the best use of my time. My children, my marriage, and my houseplants need me more than that guy I met one summer in art school.”

Lindsey signals a trend this year of Catholics and other Christians pledging to give up Facebook, Twitter or the Internet all together to free up time for more spiritual activities.

However, says Lindsey, “a sudden break from your social network – virtual or otherwise – creates a social minefield for anyone concerned with online manners. With more than 175 million active users on Facebook, at least one or two will want to “friend” you in the next 40 days. What to do?

Read Lindsey’s five tips for anyone wanting to go “Facebook cold turkey”: article

What do you think of this new trend? Post your comments below!

BTW: I’m not giving up Facebook for Lent, it’s an important tool to communicate with my audience. I’m not giving up talking, preaching or podcasting either

Thanks to Steve Marquez for the link to the article on CNet!

read more HERE!!!

No comments: