Friday, August 21, 2009

How to Enable Files Hidden by Virus on Pen Drive

My pen drive was infected and after I cleaned it with my antivirus, it showed some virus and Trojans moved to virus vault. However, thereafter the contents of the pen drive have become hidden and they won’t get 'unhidden' even after I asked the computer to show all hidden files. I "googled" for a while, but couldn’t find anything so I called my hommie Harry aka "m3katron1x" who was kind enough to show me this quick and easy way of enabling these hidden files.

1. Connect the affected pen drive

2. Launch command prompt by typing "cmd" in the run window (windows button + r)

3. Log into your pen drive i.e. "J:", where "J" is the drive letter of your pen drive

4. Type the following command i.e. "attrib -h -s *.* /D /S"

5. Go to "my computer" and open your pen drive. All your old (hidden) files and new
ones should show up now.

Here is another process I found by "googling" one day after work:
1. Open up command prompt as before

2. Now to remove virus's attributes (in order to delete it type following line by
line and execute them pressing enter.

3. F:\

4. F:\attrib -s -r -h *.* If there are any malicious EXE files those are now visible
so if unnecessary delete them too.

5. F:\del autorun.inf

6. After finishing above, quickly remove the pen as soon as possible (just after
executing del command).

7. Now your pen is without virus activation config. file. Now you can safely delete
unnecessary EXE files on it.

Let me know if it works...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post man.. I'm all informed now about how to deal with them stubborn viruses.. Keep up your good work.. :)

雨后的微笑 said...

Thank for the hash attribut...help me alot....in getting this stupid virus..from my sytem

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the best RMM program for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central MSP solution
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

Aditya Lele said...

Aint working dude, tried everythting from the command prompt to the reg editor, i need those files man or i m screwed, help me..

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about the prevalence of technology in our day to day lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory becomes cheaper, the possibility of transferring our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could see in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://quizilla.teennick.com/stories/16129580/does-the-r4-or-r4i-work-with-the-new-ds]R4i[/url] DS scPost)

Anonymous said...

Opulently I agree but I about the post should secure more info then it has.